5.19.2011

Atheism

Frankly, I don't know why more people aren't atheists. Sometimes it is just so extremely hard to believe in God. Believing in God is like putting all your faith into insurance: You have to pay to get any benefits, and when you fuck up, your rates go up. But then again, everyone has insurance. It's understood as a tenet of societal norms that one must have insurance. But has anyone ever stood up and asked, "Why do I need insurance? I can certainly afford insurance, but I would rather use my money on something else"? It seems to me that there are a lot of people paying pretty high rates of praying and dedication to God and don't get anything back. Monks who dedicate their entire lives to God die of cancer. Humanitarians get assassinated. Murderers walk free.

Just so you know, I believe in God. I think God is a nice idea. I'm not one of those people who thinks God has any ability whatsoever to make a difference in the course of human nature. I do not believe that the blind man who has regained his sight was touched by the hand of God, but rather by pure chance and scientific reasoning. To put that much pressure on one person, even if he's the Big Man in the Sky, is a bit unfair, don't you think?

According to some people, the same man who made it rain in the middle of a drought, caused to drought itself. The same man who helps us fight the enemy, put the enemy on the earth in the first place. That contradictory standard people put on a mere idea complicates and ruins it.

I think the ideological world should just start over. We should all just become atheists and accept that all those miracles are just chance. There is no one calling the shots. That is not what God is supposed to be, some sort of nucleus of the universe. When you pray, stop asking for things, and start asking for not a hand in a miracle, but a hand to hold while life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment