5.11.2011

Back in the Blogosphere and The Hierarchy of Success

For over a month, I missed Coachella photos, Glee reviews, personal ramblings. Every single time I opened up Google Chrome and saw the Blogger icon, I was tempted to click on it to indulge in the dozens of blogs I read daily, but I made myself stop and click on the Blackboard icon instead. However, even as I came down the homestretch of those darn APs, my mind kept on wandering to my usual whimsical thoughts and now I have a whole backlog of things to blog about. So to start off the slew of crazy awesome posts, I would like to lift the spirits of my readers with my encouragement: stop trying to succeed. 

By succeed, I don't mean stop trying to get into a good college and pursue an awesome career. But the world can only hold so many Nobel Prize winners, so many presidents, so many Madonnas, and so many Vera Wangs. I strongly believe that the hierarchy of high school directly applies to later life, and the best part is, IT'S OKAY!

The Senators and scientists discovering the next sustainable energy source are those people in high school who get two questions wrong the on the APUSH unit tests and are sophomores in Science NHS. Success almost always stems from youth, and rarely do we ever see the people on the cover of Time talking about how they sucked in high school. Sometimes I'm in the same classes as these people and although I might get an A in the class as well, I never come close to touching their standard. I used to feel depressed about that, but lately I have realized that it's inevitable that I will never be on top of the world like these other people. These people are the ones I'm basically going to be looking up to for the rest of my life, and hell yeah, I want them to be tons smarter than me. These successful people are the ones that will be the next generation of brains and talent, and I have no problem being average.

Most people fall in the average category, meaning we'll make up the electorate and the consumers of society. We will be the doctors, lawyers, advertising executives, speechwriters. We are the people those famous brains will step on, but it's inevitable that the world needs us. We may not be on magazine covers or make breakthroughs, but that's perfectly fine. How is the world supposed to work if there's no one to follow the leaders? 

Oh, and those people stumbling down the halls drunk and shrugging at an F in regular English? The world needs sandwich makers. 

1 comment: