12.20.2010

Christmas Wish List

True happiness is forever. Most happiness people will be getting this Christmas will be over once those boots become unfashionable six months later, once that new ipod breaks, or once that goldfish dies. True happiness is something unwrappable. It's big enough to put smiles on faces of many different people, but small enough to tuck into the pocket of your heart to carry around every single day.

Christmas is undoubtedly a time for materialism and temporary happiness. All these companies encourage you to donate money towards causes so they will look good in the public eye. For example, in order to donate $10 dollars towards clean water in villages in Uganda, you first have to buy $50 of merchandise. There isn't anything wrong with that, but you have to be aware that these companies are capitalizing on your desire to help other people.

I really don't have a lot of money, but I think spreading happiness around this time of year is more about thinking about people you love. Happiness and love go hand in hand, and that's what the Christmas spirit is really about. This year I am not asking for new boots or giftcards. I'm asking Santa to carry my message of love to people I care about.

Dear Santa,
HIV/AIDS is painful and confusing for children. The pain is not only from the illness that they must fight, but the absence of stability in a lifetime. Please listen to the hopes and dreams of the children I came to know and fall in love with at the Mai Tam Center in Saigon, Vietnam. I think a smile lasting a day will make up for many days of hurt.
Love, Linh


1 comment:

  1. Dear Linh,
    Your message is beautiful and so true. I got chills while reading it. You are truly a wonderful human being.
    Love, Sophie

    ReplyDelete